Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Clinical elective at RMH (Day 12)

Day 12
We had an enjoyable session with Dr. Lucy today. We had a discussion with her on how to interpret the ABG. That is what I need the most as I always get confused when it comes to interpretation of ABG. Before we started, she served us with her  self-baked chocolate cake. Oh, that was really tasty! Yum! And then she gave us a short lecture on ABG before we practiced it with cases. It didn't take long but I found it to be really useful. 

And not forgot to mention that we came across a patient with giant cell arteritis during the ward round. The reason for the patient to be admitted in respiratory ward was because of her acute onset of shortness of breath and oxygen desaturation. They tried to figure out the causes by ordering further investigation like CTPA (to find out whether the acute SOB was due to clots in the lungs), ABG and others. 

I was being offered the chance to do an ABG. I was quite worried and nervous as I had never done it before. However thanks for the encouragement from Jimmy, Nick and Dr. Lucy, I was ready to give it a try. Unfortunately, when we went to the patient for the procedure, it was already being done by one of the nurses. Oh, may be next time. :) Hope I still have the chance for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment