Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Clinical elective at RMH (Day 10-11)

Day 10
Nick and I had a discussion on certain topics. He would like to get himself a little warm-up after being in a relaxed mode for a long period of time. Same goes to me. I think my brain had turned rusty after my third year, being too relaxed throughout my forth year. He was preparing himself for becoming a junior doctor or an intern upon finishing his clinical elective and I should start to prepare for my final. We discussed on myasthenia gravis. Other random topics like multiple sclerosis just set in. Apparently, he knew more than I did. Though we just touched on each topic superficially, I found the discussion was beneficial. I was glad that he had introduced certain useful websites and online question banks to me.

Day 11
Starting from this week, the respiratory team would be taken over by another respiratory physician, Dr Jeremy and also Dr. Nicole, the registrar. And the resident, Dr. Lucy would be joining the team. Dr. Lucy was so kind and helpful. She really tried her best to help us up and to teach us on whatever that came across her mind. I appreciated her effort in coming out with questions for us to ponder on or the other way round. She even offered us her free time to have a tutorial with her. That's great! I am looking forward for that.

During the professional medical report session, the second case had caught my attention as I found that it was quite interesting. It was a rare case of primary choroid plexus lymphoma. In that case, the patient presented with confusion and short term memory defect. There was no other neurological sign and symptom. He was conscious, had a normal gait with no deficit detected in cranial nerves, lower and upper limbs neurological examination. Radiological investigation of the brain (I couldn’t remember whether it was a CT or MRI) showed abnormality in the ventricles. Further investigations then carried out and finally they came out with the aforementioned diagnosis. They even showed the video of that patient underwent mental state examination, which gave us a clearer picture on what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment