Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Clinical elective at RMH (Day 7)

Day 7
Hmm. What’s new today? Not much but a lengthy ward round. It was funny when the intern turned to me and said he was hungry and tired *Ha Ha* But that didn’t render him from doing his job well. We met a patient with radiation pneumonitis, which was something new to me. It is a complication caused by radiotherapy. White opacity showed on the CXR really struck my eyes.

After the ward round, I attended a Professional Medical Report meeting where registrars presented their cases. It was a good teaching session too as the consultants would share their knowledge on the investigation and management. I really have to thank Nick for inviting me to this event which I had missed last week as I thought it was some sort of high-level-teaching for postgraduate students.

That’s it for today. So let me share something I had learnt from the medical students here. Comparing myself to them, there is still room for improvement. They are pro-active, confident, and observant. And of course, I was amazed at their inter-personal skills. Basically, to describe me, you just have to use words which are antonymic to those above. Some might have told me that I looked confident when I did my presentation. However, to me that was just a masquerade. Sometimes I was too afraid to share my ideas and to speak out as I doubt my own capability. There were a lot of times when I doubted my capability to become a doctor. I NEED that confidence. In term of interpersonal skills, I feel like I am just like a robot. I was insensitive to their pain and discomfort. In contrast, the students here would start off with a little chit chat to know the social background of the patients and to build up good rapport with them.

Hippocrates once said, "Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always." People need doctors who are understanding and are able to give comfort to them (in a professional way of course), not a bunch of heartless healing machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment